Market House Supermarket
Today, Hillsdale Market House, Inc. and Bob's Market House Inc. of Hudson are separate Michigan corporations with several shareholders. Brett continues his role as General Manager of both corporations. Tim Sallows serves as the Store Manager of Bob's Market House, and Mike Phillips is the Hillsdale Store Manager.
The Hillsdale Market House was founded in October, 1941 by Brett Boyd's great grandfather, Elmer Pearson. The original store was located at 54 North Howell Street. Pearson owned and operated the meat department and Elmer Cain, the grocery department. In 1947, Phillip Williams started working in the meat department. The grocery department was purchased from Mr. Cain in 1951 and a partnership was formed when Lawrence Jacobus joined the company in 1955.
A new supermarket was built in 1957 at 85 E. Carleton. A disastrous fire in June of 1963 gave reason for the complete modernization of that building. Business prospered until a new facility was required, and the present market at 210 W. Carleton, Hillsdale, was opened October 3,1973.
Roger Boyd joined the Market House in 1973, was named to the Board of Directors in 1976, promoted to General Manager in 1978, and became a co-owner in 1980. Brett Boyd joined our team in 1984 and has served Market House and has served Market House in many capacities. He is now our President and General Manager.
If you see a business with incorrect information, please let us know so we can fix it!